Procrastination, more than ever before! [a little update :) ]

This will be a little update on what I've been up to and what will be in the future. I've been putting this off for a while but whatever I'll do it now.
Basically I've been either too busy or too lazy to make a post. Being in a university is pretty cool but it sucks alot of time out and I study far away from home where my workshop is, so it makes it harder to work on projects.
So, first some updates...
The watercooled laptop might make a return but I'm not sure. I've already tested the MK2 waterblock and the results were interesting if a little underwhelming at the same time. Going by memory, the GPU temp dropped by about 15C, while CPU temp only dropped by 5C. The reason why the CPU temp didn't drop as much as the GPU was because my waterblock wasn't perfectly flat. It was actually pretty cool holding the coolant resrvoir and feeling it heat up. But to push the project further forward I would need to make a MK3 waterblock and making those is very tedio…

Crap Diodes! The truth about the 150EBU04 eBay special.

I recently finished making an inverter MIG welder but as soon as I tested it out the damn thing blew apart. Now why is that? One could say that I'm dumb and unable to make a proper welder but it's actually not that (not this time at least). The welder had previously underwent testing and worked flawlessly but all the testing was done on 12V. As soon as I tried pulling the trigger on 230V it blew three of the four primary switching IGBTs. At first I assumed the IGBT's were the problem, but when I rebuilt the switching stage with MOSFETs I still had nothing on the output. This made me question the secondary rectifier diodes, a quick diode test with the DMM revealed that they were all shorted, seems weird since the welder was unloaded so no current should have been flowing through the diodes.  The diodes were marked 150EBU04 and they were supposed to be 150A, 400V diodes but as it turned out they were far from that. Considering I got them from eBay this isn't entirely sur…

Making a 10x10cm CNC XY plotter from scrap parts....and then adding a laser to it!

Recently I had a few weeks off and during that time I finished one of my longest lasting projects - the 30€ 3D printer. During that time I got interested in CNC stuff and since I'm so budget minded (courtesy of my empty wallet) I started thinking of ways to make CNC cheaper, better and more available. This might seem like a far stretch but to me it was actually pretty doable.
First I started out with what I want my build area to be, 10x10cm seemed pretty good and should work well for what I'll be doing with it. So I took a piece of paper and started drawing what I want my little plotter to be, the 10x10cm build area being the first thing I drew.

You might notice that there's a 2x2cm square, that's the bit that will be moving around the whole build area with whatever is mounted to it. When designing most of my projects I just wing it and make whatever looks nice, I can then refine the design into something more sensible.
The 2x2cm square was extended to 2x3cm to leave m…

Quick tip: Turning welding electrodes into long 3mm shafts/rods.

I've been doing more and more projects where I need smooth linear motion and there are many ways to achieve it, but for small projects things like 12mm precision ground hardened steel shafts are a bit much. I have a small and light CNC project going on and I need a smooth and straight shaft for the linear motion.
Something like a 3mm shaft from a CD/DVD drive would have been perfect if not for the fact that, for what i'm doing right now, they're too short. So I started thinking up ways of making the shaft out of something. It had to be readily available, preferably something I already had, something straight and relatively precise. With "3mm shaft" still in my head I quickly remembered that I have a pack of 3mm electrodes and from what I remember those are pretty straight, so I went to my garage and came back with a few 3mm electrodes along with some 2mm electrodes. Taking a closer look at them they do seem very straight, this might work out but I had to figure s…

Rising from the dead.......with the magnum opus of DIY short shifters.

Four months is quite a hiatus but never the less my university stuff is done and I can finally enjoy my summer holiday.
Recently I got the idea to make a short shifter for my '96 SAAB 900 ( 2nd gen ).
At first I did what anyone would do and went to the Internet to see who has done what, and since I'm very budget minded I only looked for DIY mods.
I did find a good one where a tube was used to raise the plastic bushing off the shifter housing and also sliding the pivot ball up the gear lever by however much you raised the plastic bushing.
To me this looked like a great idea and I immediately went looking for a suitable tube. That's where I was met by the first hurdle. I couldn't find a tube of suitable size. I did, however, have a sheet of 2mm stainless steel. The idea was to make a tube out of the stainless steel and then proceed as usual.
The problem I came into was that rolling the tube was not that easy, making the ends meet and hav…